Do you like this story?
Skin and Hair Tips for Women over 50!
A few wrinkles, some grey hairs here and there… Well we all know that ageing happens to all of us and is inevitable, but every cloud has a silver lining. There are tips that you can follow that will help you look and feel your best no matter what age you are! And no, before you ask, you don’t have to fork out thousands to have surgery, we like our tips more ‘au natural’.
There are main factors that effect the way our skin ages over the years, the sun being the main one. But factors like smoking, obesity, gravity, stress and diet all play such a huge part in our skin’s shelf life. There are 8 simple and natural tips you can follow:
1. Smoking increases wrinkles massively as it reduces elasticity in the skin causing sagging. And also the faces that you will repetitively pull whilst smoking (pursing of the lips when taking a drag of smoke or squinting of the eyes to keep smoke out of them) contribute to wrinkles too. So the bottom line is, if you smoke… STOP. It will not only affect your skin but your overall wellbeing too.
2. Sunbathing and tanning salons are a huge no. They may make you look tanned all year round but can cause all sorts of skin problems so they really aren’t worth it. I can happily say I have never used one in my entire life and definitely don’t plan on doing so anytime soon. Most people don’t realise the huge affect these procedures have on our skin, and it is one of the main causes of skin cancer so avoid at all costs. As for the actual sun, stay out of it between 10am and 4pm, and whenever possible, protect yourself with a high factor good quality sunscreen and a sunhat at the very least. The sun contributes to skin problems such as freckles, blotchy skin and age spots so stay careful.
3. Skin cancer is a worry for all of us, but especially as we grow older. Check your skin on a regular basis and if you notice anything different see your doctor immediately, and don’t worry about looking silly if you’re panicking over nothing… it’s better to be safe than sorry. Older fair skinned people are most at risk for this type of cancer so yearly checks by a doctor are highly recommended.
4. Treat your skin with TLC and it will love you back. You skin’s main need is moisture and lots of it, so moisturise at least twice a day but the more the merrier. Using moisturising soaps when washing the hands and face are perfect and using moisturising body lotion are perfect for after you get out of the shower to lock in moisture and make skin feel silky smooth. Also using a humidifier is ideal, and remember if you are still having problems with dry or flaky skin then speak to your doctor.
5. Eating right and staying hydrated is a sure fire way to keep skin healthy as good nutrition in the body helps it repair the skin. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day is recommended for a healthy body, but staying hydrated keeps the skin supply and young for longer so get glugging ladies.
6. Don’t think of anti ageing products as a sign of getting old, cherish them as a well needed helpline! There are increasing numbers of over the counter anti ageing creams and lotions available so try and try and try again until you find one that suits you, maybe swap around with your friends and see what works best for them. Pentapeptides, which are a chemical compound found in a lot of the newer anti ageing products, help prompt skin cells in creating more collagen which is the foundation of the skin that makes it look more supple. You can also get prescription products too so if you have any questions it’s always best to get information from the experts so see a doctor or a skin specialist.
7. Be in the know about the skin treatments that are available to you. Botox and Dysport can ease wrinkles in the upper third of your face but can be often overdone to create a ‘barbie can’t show emotion’ look so be careful. Chemical peels can remove fine lines and reduce wrinkles, especially around the mouth area where wrinkles may appear more plentiful due to repetitive movement (like I mentioned in tip number 1). Wrinkle fillers can plump up the skin and reduce the appearence of lines. Microdermabrasion erases the ultrafine lines, rejuvinates your overall complexion and will improve the skin tone and colour helping make the face look more even. Laser treatments such as laser resurfacing can improved more damaged skin due to the sun, long lasting scars and other facial problems.
8. And lastly, keep your face clean and fresh.
But it’s not just the skin that takes the rath of natures ageing process, the hair does too. Becoming brittle and grey, the hair could do with some TLC too. And here’s how:
1. Try highlighting your hair. A few lines of colour through your hair can hide away greys especially if you have naturally light hair. Highlights also create a young and fresh new look to hair so why not give it a try? Ask your stylist for the colours that will suit you the most.
2. Think carefully before getting all over full blown colour to your hair. Women who want solid and darker colours soon realise that it takes a lot of maintenance to keep healthy, so unless you’re okay with a hair appointment every six weeks or so, then opt for something less high maintenance.
3. Try a new style! You don’t have to follow the rules of ‘no long hair after a certain age’, screw them! You have your hair how YOU like it, if it makes you feel good then no one else matters. So let go of your boring hair style and go for a change, you never know it may be the best thing you & your hair ever did!
4. And finally, if you suffer from thinning hair then all hope is not lost. Shorter cuts give more volume to thinner hair, as can colour as it boosts limp dull hair with shine and a bit of old fashioned ‘umpf!’. And you never know, something as simple as a volumizing shampoo or hair product may be the only thing your hair needs. But if it’s not, then a shorter style or hair extensions to give volume could be what you need.
Talk to your friends, stylist and doctor if you have worries about hair or skin, and also check out our Find the Right Hair Colour For Your guide so you never have that after dye bad hair day problem again! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!