Once upon a time, there was a girl.
And this girl was evil, especially towards her naturally frizzy hair.
She fried every breathing strand of her hair with an overheated straightening iron, laughing diabolically as her curly hair dried up like the Sahara Desert.
That girl, big shocker, was me in the 8th grade.
I was OB-SESSED with having straight hair, because my naturally curly hair didn’t make me feel beautiful.
Not only did I completely strip my hair of life, and do a terrible job straightening my hair (seriously, ask anyone, the back half of my hair was a curly mess while the front was pin straight, good going Gabby!), but I told myself everyday, as I ran my hair through the flames of Mordor, that I wasn’t good enough just the way I was.
I know now I wasn’t alone, and sometimes I still look at my curly lion mane and sigh, wishing for pin straight locks.
Loving your hair may seem stupid and superficial, but it’s not. There are generations of young and not-so-young women who wish for the hair of the girl next door, going to extremes to achieve their idea of beauty.
There’s nothing wrong with trying to feel beautiful, but somehow, someday, you’ll get caught in a rain storm, and loving your hair in its natural state will be pretty handy.
Also, self-love is the shit.
So how do you fall in love with your hair all over again? Here are 3 ideas I hope you can take inspiration from:
1. Get Inspired
One of the ways I learned to manage my mop of curls was to get inspired by others with similar hair!
It’s easy to get caught up in a miserable self-loathing world if you, short curly blond haired girl, idolize long straight dark-haired Pocahontas over there.
Find ways to style it (heatless, if you can), rock different ponytails and top buns, try out headbands and cute clips, and change up your hair cut or bangs; the possibilities are endless!
Keep them as your screensaver on your phone or laptop, to ensure that your brain fully absorbs the self-love juices.
There is beauty in every strand, no matter how frizzy or flat you think it is, so sit your butt down, open Google, and get inspired.
2. Get Practice
This goes out to all my heat styling girls in the world: stahp.
Seriously, you can style your hair without damaging it like evil 8th grade Gabby did, but it’s still stripping your hair of natural oils that keep it healthy and shiny.
Now I know going without heat is hard, especially if you’re used to it, but practice makes perfect. The more you get used to seeing your hair in its amazing God-given natural state, the more you’ll see that natural hair is in fact a beautiful thing. You’ll also have more time to learn how you can style it to your taste!
Start with the weekends, or once a week, without heat.
Then up your game, increasing the amounts of time in a week.
Before you know it, you’ll be rocking the natural ‘do without throwing it under a beanie in shame. Because you’re better than that.
3. Get Analytical
Oooh, big fancy word you used there. Girl is getting prepped for her finals.
In all seriousness, I want you to find a mirror and look.
Look for 1 thing you like about your hair today.
Maybe it’s the color, maybe it’s your bangs, maybe it’s that one random curl.
It doesn’t matter how small, how insignificant, trust. This is useful.
Then do the same tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that.
Everyday your hair does something wonderful that you take for granted, because all your eyes can see are flaws.
But your beauty goes way beyond a few out-of-place baby hairs, so don’t let those pesky little frizzies make you feel like less of a beautiful human being.
Your hair isn’t just a conversation topic girls use to hate on themselves in locker rooms; it’s a unique piece of your identity, that no one, NO ONE, can exactly duplicate.
That should be celebrated, not stifled by a big old iron.
Have a wonderful day, my pumpkins
I’m going to be reviewing 3 products from my good friend over at Ooh La La Body Care in the USA! She makes handmade sugar scrub cosmetics. As soon as I opened the package from her, I fell in love with the smell! Even though the two tubs and the bag had not been opened, the whole thing smelt so good!
Here are the 3 products that she sent me:
1. 3 Pink Sugar Bath Fizzies – These are really cute heart shaped bath bombs, they came in a white mesh bag and her product sticker on the bag. Soooo cute.
2. 1 8oz tub of Coffee Sugar Scrub All Natural – Her packaging is so professional and appropriate. The tubs come in a plastic round tub, with a screw on lid. The lid has a black ribbon tied around, into a bow. With a small wooden spoon (to spread the scrub with) attached with the bow.
3. 1 8oz tub of Lemon Honey Facial Sugar Scrub All Natural – Again, this scrub came in a plastic round tub with a screw top lid and a small wooden spoon.
Here’s my review of each product:
1. The day I received these pink bath fizzies, I couldn’t resist not having a bath. Usually i’m not a bath person, but I thought i’d make an exception. I didn’t put bubble bath in the bath so I could see how the little pink hearts fizzed, and boy did they fizz! They are not messy and don’t create lumps of stuff in your bath. These pink sugar bath fizzies are perfect for presents or table gifts at weddings or birthdays. They are so cute.
2. The coffee sugar scrub is intended for the body, so I decided that i’d use it on my legs to buff away any dead skin. Firt of all, it smells delicious (I let my mum smell it and she literally said she could eat it). It is really easy to spread onto the skin (with the help of the handy spoon) and it isn’t sticky at all. Sometimes body scrubs are harsh and often leave irritation marks on my skin however this one didn’t irritate my skin at all. On the description of the product it states that you don’t need to moisturise after using this sugar scrub and she’s definitely right. My skin felt smooth, buffed and sexy.
3. Wow. My absolute favourite of the three is the honey lemon sugar scrub. It smells like cheesecake, I just couldn’t stop sniffing it. I think when a product smells nice, you warm to it more because it gets your senses going… my senses were on super speed! This sugar scrub is a facial scrub, so I could really see if the products made irritation marks as my face is quite fragile. Again, with the help of the handy spoon, I applied a small amount of scrub to my face and got to work. You don’t need to scrub for long as this gentle scrub buffs away dead skin in no time at all. Then I just rinse it off and dry my face. Definitely no need for moisturising.
The only bad thing I can say about this product is that after a little time it dries out, but you just get your handy spoon and give it a stir, hey presto, it’s back to brand new!
I’d give Ooh La La Bodycare Sugar Scrubs and Bath Fizzies a 10/10. Great products, with fast delivery, amazing smells and fab prices. They are Ooh La La indeed!
If you want to purchase any of these 3 products (which I recommend you do) or any other products she offers, head over to her etsy now and follow her on twitter @Oohlalabodycare! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!
So I was sent two Ribbon Tie 3 in 1 products from my lovely friend at Ribbon Tie. I received the two products in lovely packaging, and the delivery was speedy and easy! She even threw in a couple of hard boiled sweets (i’m a sucker for sweets!).
The two products I received were:
1. A Ribbon Tie hair tie that doubles up as a comfortable bracelet and anklet. It is the colour purple (available on her website in the ‘Ponceau’ set) and has a circle shaped diamante feature in the center.
2. A Ribbon Tie hair tie that doubles up as a comfortable bracelet and anklet. It is the colour turquoise (available on her website in the ‘Glaucous’ set), I chose this ribbon tie to come without a diamante feature.
The two products are pictured below (turquoise top, purple bottom).
As my hair is very thick, it was difficult to use as a hair tie for all of my hair up in a ponytail etc, so instead I used the purple ribbon tie to secure a pretty side plait. First of all, the little circle diamante feature is so cute and different, so when I secured my side plait at the bottom with it, I made sure that the diamante feature was facing the front. I wore this plait all day and because it was sunny the diamante feature glistened in the sun! The purple contrast to my dark hair was really pretty, and the Ribbon Tie was comfortable and didn’t tug my hair at all.
Since I couldn’t secure all of my hair up into a ponytail, I instead decided to secure my hair into a ‘half up half down’ style. The ribbon tie worked perfectly for this style, securing my hair without tugging and pulling like some other hair ties do. And because the Ribbon Tie’s are thick, they give the hair a unique look instead of a regular hair tie.
Out of pure coincidence, I realized that the turquoise hair tie matched my nails perfectly! It is such a pretty colour, perfect for summer time! As my wrists aren’t that small, I struggled using the Ribbon Tie as a bracelet so I think perhaps these Ribbon Tie’s would be perfect gifts for children or teen’s as bracelets or anklets. And because there are so many colours to choose from (at such great prices), they can have a Ribbon Tie for different outfits. This could help little fashionista’s in the making!
All in all, I would definitely recommend Ribbon Tie’s to my readers as they are unique, easy, pretty and don’t snag your hair or leave ugly ‘hair kinks’.
If you would like to purchase either of these two items that I received or any other items that she offers, head over to her website www.ribbonties.bigcartel.com or search for her eBay shop! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!]]>
Wait, the sun is shining…
And I don’t need my jacket when I walk out to get my mail…
Does that mean…? No, it must be a dream…
I can’t believe it…
Summer has finally arrived!
After months of grey, those warm golden rays of sunshine are more than welcome. And with summer months come summer beauty!
Now I know some of us are a little disoriented, and the first thing we want to do once the spring time flowers bloom is throw on our bikinis and watch the sun turn our paleness in to bronze.
But hold your horses, I am here to remind why sunscreen is your summer’s number 1 beauty item:
1. Don’t Be A Leather Lady
Alright, I know we all want that killer summer tan January has denied us.
But trust me, in 10, 20, 30, 40 years, you’ll thank your SPF. If having nice skin and aging well is even slightly important to you, as I’m sure it is if you read this lovely web magazine, think twice before becoming a leather lady.
What’s a leather lady, you ask?
When you get to a certain age, and you take terribly care of your skin, by slathering on tanning oil or hopping into a sun bed, your skin starts to look like beaten up, crackled leather. I love my leather bags, but turning into one? Not my ideal future.
And what about sun spots? Do you even know how hard and expensive it is to have those removed? Being tan may look good for now, but imagine having so many spots (that you could have prevented!) that you look like a Dalmatian dog.
You know what’s also not cute?
Because skin cancer isn’t just unattractive, it’s destructive.
Girls as young as 25 years old perish from excessive tanning, so don’t ever think you’re too young or too old to start taking care of that marvelous skin of yours.
2. Sneaky Little SPF
Okay, so you don’t want to risk your health for a temporary glow. Now what?
Sunscreens can smell awful, you tell me, and they stick to everything!
That may have been true back in the day, but SPF has undergone quite the makeover.
There are now many brands that carry spray-on sunscreen that dries in seconds, such as Neutrogena and Coppertone! No sticky clothes, or sticky hands!
As for facial sunscreen, I’m afraid I have no solution…
Kidding, of course I do.
If facial sunscreen smells like rotten cheese to you, or the oily texture breaks you out, there are many options available.
Many skincare items like moisturizers and BB creams carry SPFs as high as 50, so that you don’t have to add an oily, gooey mess to your already sensitive skin.
Another great option would be a primer. Thin and translucent, it won’t run all down your face or look like pancake makeup once the heat kicks in, but many brands such as NARS and MAC make primers with an SPF as high as 35!
Now you have no excuse to skimp on sun care!
3. Fake Your Way To the Tan
So you’ve given in to the sunscreen pressure, good for you!
But you still want that tan! Don’t we all, don’t we all…
That’s what self tanners are for!
Let me tell you, I’m about as white as a girl can get before scaring young children, and even I can use self-tanner without looking orange.
I recommend the St-Tropez bronzing mousse. Pop some onto a tanning glove, apply to shaved, smooth skin, and wait for it to dry (only about a minute, so to not interrupt your busy life). A few hours later, if you think it looks streaky, you can run a washcloth over it or hop in the shower and the tan will even itself out without totally disappearing. Witchcraft, I tell you.
I hope I have successfully convinced you that the sun can be your friend, but don’t let it turn into your enemy.
Practice safe sun, stay fierce, and have a lovely day.
Head Writer and Editor of Fudge Perfection
1. Sporty But Chic
Nowadays, everyone is rather fitness crazy. But, with the beach sports like volleyball, surfing and sometimes even yoga, why not add a little sporty edge to our swimwear?
2. Sexy Cutouts
Last year we begin to see the trend of cutout clothing peeking through the curtain, but this year , it’s gone one step further. Why debate between a bikini and a swimsuit when you can get a cutout and have the best of both? With trends ranging from simple side cutouts to elaborate shapes, what’s not to love?
3. Denim Delight
Yeah, we know what you’re thinking, denim in water?! I know denim is usually rather heavy when wet but I love the unique denim style!
4. Beautiful Bustiers
Balcony bra tops are very flattering, especially for women with larger chests (they help keep the breasts in so there’s no embarrassing moments). And with every pattern, colour and fabric under the sun available, the question is simply, why wouldn’t you?
5. Chevron Crazy
We know that chevrons belong on the roads, but I can’t help to love these simple patterned bikini’s that stand out so nicely! There’s nothing like a monochrome chevron print swimsuit to say “Yeah, sure i’ll play volleyball with you Mr Hunk”.
6. Crafty Crochet
Crochets aren’t just for killing time on a rainy day, they happen to bring what could be a boring plain coloured bikini or swimsuit into a masterpiece! But use your sunscreen wisely, crochet patterns aren’t pretty on sun burnt skin!
7. Floaty Florals
While I have yet to see a floaty fabric that I don’t like, i’m loving the ‘flutter’ look this season. While you may imagine bikini’s to be skimpy and revealing, floaty and frilly styles are perfect for every figure. Bustier girls can frame their chest with a deep V neck, and the lucky petite’s can can wear bandeau tops that sway in the breeze. And if you need camouflage around your tummy, you can get a one piece with flutter detailing that will give coverage but still ooze that sexy summer look!
I know it’s not quite summer yet, but we can look into the future can’t we? Plus, the closer to summer it gets, the more expensive this swimwear will become, so grab a bargain while you can! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!]]>
Valentine’s Day is near approaching once again, (gosh doesn’t time fly?!) and it’s time to find that all important gift for the boyfriend/husband. But what? We all know that different types of men like different gifts. Think of it like on Mean Girls when she is shown all of the groups in the food hall. There’s the jocks, the nerds, the band geeks, the cool kids etc. Well, men are just like that. As much as I hate stereotyping people, men have little ‘types’ that we put them in. The videogame boys, the sporty boys, the arty boys, the foody boys and the fitness boys! So, I’ve searched long and hard for the perfect gifts for each of these types so that you don’t have to… you can thank me later.
The Puzzle Loving Guy
Does your man do all the crosswords and ‘coffee break’ puzzles in the paper and jumps at the chance to do a jigsaw…? Here’s the perfect romantic gift for him then. Introducing: The Valentines Day Personalised Puzzle. There are a variety of these kinds of jigsaw available, so I found my top 3 favourite ones for you.
- Personalised Heart Jigsaw Puzzle, 36 pieces at $11.99 from printerstudio.com
- You Complete Me Jigsaw Puzzle, 11 Pieces at £6.95 from prezzybox.com
- We Met Here Jigaw Puzzle, 400 pieces at £29.95 from yourphotojigsaw.com
The Foody Guy
So your man likes food, so do most other men. But, if he’s really into his food then the most suitable gift seems like a food hamper! This is the ultimate food hamper. It has 6 boxes including treats such as olives, pate, chocolates, sweets and biscuits, what’s not to love?! It costs around £49.95 so it’s not cheap, but your man is worth it…plus you can sneak a few bites in can’t you!
The Fitness Guy
If your man likes the gym and is working on getting fit and toned, then I think I have the perfect gift for him.
Here is the SMARTSHAKE Protein Shaker. It’s a protein shaker with a difference because it includes two compartments to store supplements such as protein, creatine and vitamins etc. Your man will have ample storage and you will soon have a lean, fit and strong man. It’s a WIN – WIN situation!
This protein shaker is available in many colours, but I think the ‘Gold Smoke’ colour is really classy, and at only £7.95 on Amazon.com who can argue with this gift?
The Techy Guy
So your man likes technology? Well does he like beanies too, because i’ve found the hands free bluetooth beanie. He can stay warm and enjoy chatting and listening to music without annoying headphones, and with 60 hours standby time and 6 hours talk time, you won’t need to charge via USB too often! It’s available in black or grey.
You can get this for £34.99 at firebox.com
The Adventurous Guy
So you’re man’s one of those ‘Sure, I’ll do that… i’m not scared!’ kind of guy? Good. See if he likes this novelty gift!
It’s a gift basket filled with weird and wonderful things to try, like gravy candy and bacon frosting! Will he love it? We think so.
At around $52 it’s not cheap, but it’ll be well worth it to see him try the atomic hot sauce.
The Worky Guy
Do you remember those toys when you were a child where you wrote things with a magnetic pen on a device and then pulled something alone to erase the entire message? Well my fellow friends I have found the perfect workaholic male’s version. He can write memo’s on it, and save lots of money on memo paper too!
At £9.99 from findmeagift.co.uk you can’t go wrong!
The Car Loving Guy
I found these adorable personalised tax disk cufflinks that would be perfect for a man who loves his car. They’re quirky, fun and inexpensive.
You can get them at £29.99 from firebox.com (but make sure you order by Feb 2nd to get them in time for Valentine’s Day! So this idea will have to be for next year, at least you can plan ahead!)
You can check out our other mens gift guide if you’re still struggling on what to buy. Good luck, happy shopping and as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!]]>
‘Pin the Moustache on the Ex’
This is a really popular game to play at anti Valentine’s Day parties and it’s really easy to do. You spin the player around with a blindfold on, then point them in the direction of their ex’s picture, the closest person to pin the moustache in the correct place wins. All you need are:
– Paper moustaches (you can make them and colour them in, you can even make it more fun by having different coloured moustaches).
– Pictures of the Guest’s Ex’s. Obviously you won’t have a picture of every single guest’s ex partner, so pick a main group of guests and get pictures.
– A pin board so you don’t damage your walls.
– A blindfold.
‘Decorate Anti Valentine’s T Shirts’
If you’re not bothered about spending a little money on the enterainment then this one could be a really good idea, even if it is the only entertainment you have at your party, i’m sure it will go down a treat!
You will need:
– A number of plain white t shirts (men & womens), cheap ones if possible.
– Fabric Pens
– Fabric Glue
– Fabric Paint
The idea of this is to design your very own anti valentine’s t shirt, including anything you want on it. Encourage your guests to be creative with their t shirts, as this can be their ‘goody bag’ present when the party is over.
A party isn’t a proper party without it’s drinks, right? And with this being an anti valentine’s day bash, it should be kitted out with the tastiest red cocktails available. Don’t forget the mocktails for those who don’t drink!
Raspberry Chocolate Kiss Martini
Crushed raspberries and mint syrup are shaken up with vodka and a splash of cranberry juice to make this red-hot cocktail. Put grated chocolate on the rim of the martini glass to give it a Chocolate kick.
Pomegranate and Champagne Punch
Mix pear nectar and orange liqueur with pomegranate juice and a bottle of Champagne (or cava) to create a love-filled punch.
Make grenadine ice cubes and freeze overnight. Then add to your favourite cherry inspired cocktail and serve with the ice cubes. You can also mix Amaretto with cranberry juice to make a drink that tastes exactly like cherry drops, adding the ice cubs for extra effect.
Red Heart Punch
Mix a lot of cranberry juice , lime juice and a little non alcoholic lager, then serve with fresh cranberries and lime slices for a mocktail to die for.
Rose Raspberry Spritzer
Mix rose water, a non alcoholic sparkling wine, raspberries, and a little sugar for a sweet non alcoholic drink.
As it is probably more of a ‘drinks & nibbles’ not a dinner party, you won’t want to be slaving in the kitchen all day & evening. Intead, you can never go wrong with some form of sharing platter at a party, whether it be a fondue, or a crisps and dips plates. These sorts of foods are good because people gather around them, therefore creating conversation!
Steering away from proper ‘dinner’ food is a good idea for this party, and you can spend exra time on decoration and entertainment instead. But you can still make small foody things to keep up the anti valentine’s theme. Here are some ideas:
Love Sux cookies:
Knife Heart cupcakes:
So, have the best anti Valentine’s Day bash you can. For some tips on how to rekindle the love in your relationship (or help a friend with their relationship troubles), you know where to go! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!]]>
Valentine’s Day is filled with soppy love letters, mushy kisses and hugs and expensive presents for couples. Couple’s go out and stress over buying gifts, booking reservations for dates out and being generally lovey dovey. But what do singleton’s do on this wonderful (NOT!) day? Usually we don’t get dressed, we stay inside, watch pathetic romantic comedies and eat ice cream. Aren’t you sick of feeling rubbish if you’re single on Valentine’s Day? Me too. So instead of moping around, why not throw the ultimate Single’s bash? You can save your single friends from a miserable day, you can get a little merry and spend the day with the ones that you love! Here’s a step by step guide to throwing the ultimate Anti Valentine’s Day Singles Bash.
The ultimate rule for your Anti Valentine’s bash is that you mustn’t invite people who are in a relationhip, no matter how mean it seems. It’s a single’s bash for a reason, and besides the couple’s seem to have plenty of activity options on Valentine’s Day. Invite all of your single friends that you know well enouh to let into your house/venue. But here’s the twist, each guest invited directly by you is allowed (and should) bring a +1 who is single too, this way there is always a fresh face and your guests will enjoy mingling with their new single friends. Bear this in mind when making your direct invitations because if you invite lots of people then the numbers could very well double if each person brings a +1. You don’t want your single’s party to be broken up by the police like a high school house party, that’s for sure.
Theme & Decoration
As this is an ANTI Valentine’s Day party, it’s strongly recommended to steer away from any traditional decoration. So that means NO:
– Candles (Unless they are black)
– Heart Shaped Banner/Paper Chains
– Soppy Love Stuff (e.g. pictures of couples, soppy love phrases or quotes)
– Flowers (unless you could get black roses to display around the venue)
Try to steer away from the traditional Valentine’s Day colours too, instead of bright red, white and pink, you could use colours like bright green, yellow and orange.
Or, if you still want to stick to the traditional decorations, then you can add a chilling edge to them and do a sort of halloween-esque tweak. For example, get pink heart paper banners, and splatter them with red paint like blood. Or make your own word banners, for example this one:
. You could also make and display your own funny anti valentines cards around the house, perhaps even give them to guests on arrival? Here’s an idea of one:
To make your party really outstanding, you can go the extra mile with your decorations. So your guest has gone to the bathroom, and the last thing they expect is the bathroom to be decorated too because, well really who has time for that? That’s where you come in. You can carry on the decorations in the bathroom. Here are some ideas:
– Draw on the bathroom mirror with red or pink lipstick, you can write things like ‘Love sucks!’ or ‘Cupid rhymes with Stupid’ and things like that. It’s a quirky touch that will go down well.
– Fill the bath and sprinkle dead rose petals in the bath, (as if you’ve been waiting for a rose petal bath for too long and the petals have died or something). Or if you don’t have a bath/don’t want to fill one then you can sprinkle them on the floor of your stairs/corridor.
– I stumbled across this toilet paper, and even though it could be for couples, I think the humour and irony in it is perfect for your Anti Valentine’s Day party.
Stick around for part of this ultimate guide for tips on food, drinks & entertainment for your Anti Valentine’s Bash! And if you’re in a relationship but have no idea on what to do, then see our quirky ideas for Valentine’s Day! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!]]>
Struggling on deciding what to do with your loved one this Valentine’s day? Don’t want to stick with the generic dinner & a movie? Check out these ideas to change things up a bit this February 14th!
I think there’s something romantic about being on a boat, unless you get seasick of course. Hiring out a boat is a great date idea or a date, and will keep you away from the Valentine’s Day rush to get a table at that really expensive modern restaurant. Instead, take a picnic and eat it on the water, but make sure someone’s keeping an eye on the road, er, water(?) at all times. You can still incorporate your favourite foods into your picnic (but obviously you won’t be having hot foods unless you can keep them warm in some way). If you haven’t got access to hiring a boat, then try attending a boat event (location permitting). This is a great way to see lovely sights and escape from land for a bit. Heck, if you’re feeling really adventurous you can even book a mini cruise. Who doesn’t like entertainment, drinks and food all with the helpful sway of the sea to calm you down?
‘Document your night’
You can do whatever you want for this one, whether it be dinner, a trip to the pub or a walk in the park. You can do anything, but there is one rule; you have to take loads of pictures. And with the ever more popular ‘selfie’ coming in, you can do this justice by taking loads of silly pictures. Not only will you remember the night, but studies have shown that if you look at pictures of your partner, you grow even more connected to them. So perhaps pick a favourite and print it out. You could also get it printed on a small canvas if you want!
Right, so it’s more of a childish date but nevertheless it will be fun. You will watch movies all night, and eat junk food and ‘sloth’ out. The best idea is to bring every duvet, pillow and cushion you own into your living room, spread them out on the floor and create an optimum viewing area for two. The idea is to recreate the whole childhood fort that we all knew and loved! Make sure it’s cosy, and has JUST enough room for you to snuggle. But make sure this viewing area has plenty of room for provisions; I’m talking popcorn, sweet shop supplies, fizzy drinks (or a little bubbly if you prefer). You can even one further and make your favourite ‘Ice Blast’ drinks like they serve at the cinema. All you need is some lemonade, fruit syrup and ice. Blend this all up and serve in martini glasses to make it more sophisticated, (maybe adding a little vodka for an adult slushy). And go one further by setting up a white background with fairy lights around it for a makeshift projector (if you have the facilities of course). Eat junk food, watch movies and snuggle. What could be better?
‘Experiment in the Kitchen’
Remember that recipe that you saw in a magazine last week but thought it was too hard/time consuming to make? NOW’S YOUR CHANCE. We all have a secret Masterchef inside of us, and not only do you get to bond with each other and work as a team, but you also (possibly) get a tasty meal out of it too, cooked from scratch. You could do this twice, one for each partners preferred recipe, then see which they liked better. Or you could do a sort of ‘Come Dine With Me’ date. This is when one partner makes the starter, one makes the main and they both make the dessert. Mark your partners course out of 10 and give reasons why. You can even involve another couple in this for another double date idea, having each person make one course (appetizers, starter, main, dessert) or instead of appetizers one person can make the cocktails. I’ll let you decide what the winners prize can be!
If it’s breakfast you want to focus your cooking skills on, then see these tasty breakfast ideas for Valentine’s Day! And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on DropOfPink!]]>
Heart Hole Eggs & Toast
1. Toast white bread lightly (you don’t need to overdo it as it will toast more once it’s in the pan). Cut heart shapes out of the toast – I put these to one side and serve with butter/jam/cinnamon & sugar.
2. Place nonstick pan over medium heat, then melt about a teaspoon of butter in the pan.
3. Once the butter has melted, place the toast in the pan and crack an egg right inside the heart shape of the toast (trying not to get any of the egg anywhere apart from the heart so it looks neat).
4. Cook the egg to your desired level. If you like hard fried eggs & you flip the toast, it doesn’t look as pretty. If you like them runny just turn the heat down to medium or low and put a lid over the top of the pan until the whites of the egg cook through.
5. Serve with your mini toast hearts with a topping of your choice and a coffee or tea!
An alternative to this breakfast is Heart Shaped Sausage & Egg.
1. Take some hot dog sausages, cut them in half length-ways, leaving about an inch uncut at the end. Fold the sausage back on itself to create a heart shape.
2. Stick a toothpick through the two loose ends of the sausage to secure. Place this in a greased frying pan and crack an egg in the center. Cook until desired runny-ness.
3. Serve with toast soldiers or even chips! Or check out 3 healthy alternatives to chips or crisps.
This breakfast idea is perfect for those who’s partners are a little health conscious. They can still enjoy a sweet and tasty breakfast without the guilt afterwards!
1. Gather together some of your partners favourite fruits, my favourite together are strawberry, raspberry and banana.
2. Gather these together and add to a smoothie maker/blender. You can add some milk, ice cream, sorbet, fruit juices or syrup to make it more interesting. Blend it together until smooth.
3. Serve it in either a nice tall glass or if you want, an old jam jar to make it look different. Add a straw and maybe some ribbon round the jar for decoration.
4. If you want to make the smoothie a little fancier, you could add whipped cream and small pieces of their favourite chocolate on top, because who doesn’t like chocolate at breakfast time?! Serve with a little heart shaped toast, or pretty much anything heart shaped on the side, and voila! A healthy breakfast that the whole family can enjoy.
‘Love you’ Bacon and Pancakes
These can be quite tricky but you can get it right with the right practice.
1. Make some regular pancake batter, then add a small amount of this batter to a separate bowl an add a little red food colouring.
2. Put the pink batter into an old condiment bottle, then fill a second condiment bottle with some of the normal batter.
3. Work quickly for this step. On a medium to hot pan, write the word ‘Love’ BACKWARDS with the pink batter, and then draw around this word with a heart and fill the spaces in. It might take a little practice and temperature changes to get this right, but it’ll be worth it!
4. Serve with some bacon (cooked just the way they like it) and maybe some syrup in a little pot!
1. Preheat your oven to about 200 Celsius.
2. Cut your bacon slice in half. Use 2 pieces of the halved bacon to shape into a heart on a baking tray lined with foil.
3. Bake until your bacon cooked to your desired crispiness.
4. Serve however you’d like for your loved one, you can do a full English element, and even mix these with your heart hole egg on toast. Extra credit if you dip the bacon in chocolate, because everyone likes chocolate. Yum!
5. You can even serve this as part of a lunch idea, topping a caesar salad perhaps?
Heart Shaped Boiled Egg
You will need:
– Milk carton or any juice carton (cut it open, wash it well and dry it)
– Chopstick (round one is ideal)
– Rubber bands
1. Cut milk carton and fold it in half lengthways.
2. Cook a hard boiled egg (about 5-10 minutes).
3. While the egg is still warm, peel the shell off the egg and put the egg in the centre of the the milk carton. Place a chopstick on the center of the egg, and put rubber bands on the both ends to secure the egg. There should be pressure from the chopstick onto the egg, this is how the heart shape is made.
4. Leave the egg in for about 10 minutes.
5. Take the rubber bands and the chopstick off and cut the egg in half. Serve as desired!
If you’re worried about the calories in these breakfasts, see here for how many calories you need a day!
If you’re not good at cutting things into hearts then heart shaped cookie cutters are available from baking or seasonal departments in supermarkets or online. Very small heart cookie cutter can be used to make croutons for soup, cutting vegetables for salads or homemade pizza’s, so it’s not just breakfast you can personalise! You can even use larger cutters to cut break for loved up jam or jelly sandwiches for your young children. So now you’ve got some great breakfast ideas, but if you’re still missing that romantic spark then here are some great ways to rekindle the love in your relationship. And as always, keep those beautiful eyes on Drop Of Pink!]]>